September 26, 2008

Warmachine Battle Report 500pts

Menoth vs. Khador

Well these were my 4th and 5th games of Warmachine again vs. Khador this time controlled by Toshi. Played 2 games in the night one at 350 pts and one at 500 pts both of which took some time as we are still new to the rules. Couple of the guys were playing WHFB on the other half of our table, one of whom used my Dwarves to absolutely trash an army of Ogres!!! Can't remember many of the details (apologies) but the basics were...

Battle 1 - 500 pts
Toshi and I basically fielded all the models we had, although I had a couple left over, and he was proxying a few. I was Jack heavy and had the following list:

  • Exemplar Kreoss
  • Vassal of Menoth
  • Repenter
  • Repenter
  • Revenger
  • Revenger
  • Crusader
  • Flameguard Cleansers

These were up against a 3 Khador Heavy Warjacks including one that was a Warcaster (not sure which) a couple of manhunters some skirmishing rifle dudes and a whole bunch of mechanics. End result was Toshi knew his army better than me used it more effectively and wiped me out before most of forces even got into combat. Managed to get a couple of photos with my phone, quality not great but hey my Menoth is starting to look pretty good in most of them.

Repenter charges a Manhunter with a Vassal and Kreoss (unpainted) behind


Menoth units attempt to hit Khadors right flank




Battle 2 - 350 pts
Went with nothing but jacks in this one with:
  • Exemplar Kreoss
  • Revenger
  • Revenger
  • Crusader
  • Crusader

Against a similar Khador army minus the mechanics and one of the heavy warjacks. This battle went a lot better for me as I got my units into combat early before the skirimishers could pick me off. Got Kreoss's feat in at the right moment and did some serious damage on the Khador warcaster and wiped out his skirimishers. However, I am still having trouble allocating focus properly and seem to be wasting 2-3 points of it in each round. Funny moment of the game was having Toshis Warcaster Jack pick up my Crusader and throw him at Kreoss only to overshoot and have it land on top of his Manhunter killing it. Unfortunately for me he had another Manhunter thing which got round behind me and into melee with Kreoos (who was down to 3 wounds by that stage) and killed.

Lessons learned
First up I really need to allocate my focus properly and get my Jacks working together better. Overall, I ended up giving away too many focus points to Jacks that couldnt use them. Need to plan out what I am going to with each activation and then assign focus to get it done. In first battle I also failed to activate Kreoss's feat. If I had done it at the right point it would have knocked down every model he had and I could have easily killed his more dangerous ones as mine (at that stage) were still undamaged.

Key spells used with Kreoss so far appear to be Protection of Menoth which adds a nice +2 to DEF and ARM and Retribution, which unfortunately doesnt protect against sniper fire. I also used the Lamentation spell better in the 2nd game doubling the Khador casters focus requirements but probably not early enough.

At moment my Menoth army is seriously lacking a Choir (on order should be here in two weeks) which would help boost everything. Plus as I am kind of leaning toward a Jack heavy army (despite having a unit of Temple Flameguard on order) I will need to invest in a different warcaster, probably Severius who seems to be the best for Jack heavy armies.

Mind you I do have all of my Menoth stuff based and flocked now and have nearly finished painting them all so at least their twisted burning wrecks looked pretty.

No comments: