May 30, 2009

Warhammer Tournament Report [NICON 09]

Day 1 Match ups and Battle Reports
March of the mighty *ahem* Stumpies

Played four games today in the following order:
  • vs. Lizardmen as Defender (1,200 pts)
  • vs. Goblins as Attacker (1,ooo pts)
  • vs. Wood Elves (2,250 pts)
  • vs. Dwarfs (2,25o pts)
Unfortunately I was unable to capture any decent photos of the Day's play as I left my camera back in my home town 2 hours drive away. I took a few with my phone but they are incredibly tiny and don't really show anything. I'll also leave the write up of Game 4 to later as because it was against Dwarves I feel it deserves something a little more special.

Game 1
My opponent with 1,000 pts was restricted but still able to field some useful units. The competing armies were:

Dwarfs
Runesmith
Quarrellers x10
Quarrellers x10
Hammerers x19
Hammerers x18
Organ Gun
Bolt-Thrower

Lizardmen
General on Stegadon
Mage
Mage
Skinks x10
Skinks x10
Skinks x10
Skinks x10
Salamanders x2

Lizardmen deployed and moved first which was good and bad for me. Good in that I could at least counter some of their initial deployments but bad in that with their higher movement they would be across the table faster than I would have liked reducing the number of shooting rounds that I had.

Turns 1 - 2
These saw LM magic easily dispelled by my Runesmith and the Quarrellers take a heavy toll on two units of Skinks. One eventually fled off the table while the other would spend the rest of the match hiding behind terrain at under half strength. My Organ Gun misfired in the 1st round but I was lucky enough to roll a 4 which at least meant it didnt blow up. The Salamanders also mis-fired eating several of their Skink handlers and the Quarrellers finished off the remainder, causing the Salamanders to roll on the monstrous mount table and get eternal frenzy and hatred (Oh joy!!!).

Game 1 turns 1-2

Turns 3 - 4
LM magic is again dispelled but this time the Salamanders do some serious damage on one of the Hammerer units which has moved a bit to far forward. Shooting from the LM kills still more Hammerers to see the largest unit drop below half strength before it has reached close combat. Dwarf shooting isn't as effective as it should have been wounding and eventually killing a Salamander and killing a few more Skinks. On one flank a unit of Skinks which had been attempting to next past were charged by the 2nd Hammerer unit and routed off the board. Turn 4 ends badly though as the Stegadon and remaining frenzied Salamander charge the under strength unit of Hammerers (who should have never been that far forward in the 1st place). The Hammerers lose on CR are routed, flee and are overrun. The only good news is the Quarrellers taking down the remaining Salamander.

Game 1 turns 3-4

Turns 5 - 6
I have a single unit of Hammerers left, my Organ Gun & Bolt-Thrower and two units of Quarrellers left as Turn 5 starts. The LM are down to the Stegadon and a single unit of Skinks with a Mage. The Skink unit proceeds to wipe out my Bolt-Thrower while the Stegadon rampages through one of my Quarreller units. Rather than attack the remaining Quarreller unit the Skinks elect to exit the board giving the LM a valuable 440pts (the unit with the Mage was worth 220pt and this was doubled under the scenario rules). In Turn 6 the Hammerers are too far away to do anything and the Stegadon overruns the Quarreller unit to its front but comes up 1 inch short of my Organ Gun. After 5 turns of doing nothing this is finally in a position to fire and it opens up on the Stegadon - 2 hits on the riders, 8 on the beast see it splattered over the board in the last act of the game.

End Result - Lizardmen WIN 8-2

*****

Game 2 as Attacker
Dwarfs 1,000pts vs. Goblins 1,200pts

I had to modify my list for this game and it turned out to be seriously outnumber and out gunned. The armies for this game were:

Dwarfs
Runesmith
Quarrellers x10
Quarrellers x10
Hammerer x19
Bolt-Thrower
Bolt-Thrower
Gyrocopter

Goblins
Night Goblin (NG) Big Boss
NG Shaman
NG x41
NG x30 (2 fanatics)
NG x30 (2 fanatics)
NG x30 (2 fanatics)
Snotlings x2
Snotlings x2
Squidhoppers x6
Rocklobber
Spear Chucker
Spear Chucker

Deployment
The rules meant that as a Dwarf I was allowed to deploy 21" across the table rather than 12" to make up for the movement differences, something I didn't use in Game 1 to maximise my shooting time. I deployed after the Goblins and in order to be sneaky I put most of my army behind a large LOS blocking hill on the right hand side of the board. This left a gap between the hill and the table edge wide enough for my units but also meant I couldn't been seen until I popped out from behind the mountain. The Goblins were all deployed across the board away from me. I had placed my Bolt-Throwers down first on the left flank as a decoy. In hindsight I made two mistakes here:
  • I should have deployed entirely on the left directly opposite the Goblin warmachines and gone hell for leather straight at them, instead I deployed across the table from them and attempted (foolishly) to break through the strongest units in the Goblin army.
  • Given the deployment option I took the Gyrocopter would have been better placed on the left flank were it could have attacked the Goblin Warmachines. I used it to draw out Fanatics first, but this perhaps wasn't the best idea.
Turns 1 - 2
Goblins moved first and the whole line turn left and headed toward my mountain hidey hole. At least those NG units that weren't fighting each-other. My opponent was unlucky in that at least two of his NG units were immobile each turn due to squabbling. As planned I charged straight at the table edge exit with my Hammerers. The idea was to get them off the board a.s.a.p with the Quarrellers who were deployed behind them and on their left to screen them and protect their flanks. The Gyro would tease out any fanatics with those nasty little buggers hopefully not moving 8" toward the machine.

Game 2 deployment & turn 1

But as they say - 'The beest laid plans of mice and men' - a Goblin Rock Lobber and two fanatics scuttled by plan in Turn 2. The Rock Lobber scored a direct hit on the Hammerers killing 6-8 of them putting it near half strength and making it to weak to cut through the Squid Hoppers who have blocked the exit (the NG units were all still moving toward its flank). The Gyro teases out a couple of fanatics but these both run 12" and destroy it in one go ending my attempts to have them run amok in the middle of the massed NG ranks.

Game 2 turn 2

Turns 3 - 4
This is where I stuffed up. Rather than keep up my move toward the table edge even with the weakened Hammerer unit I wheeled it and ended up charging a unit of Snotlings that were slightly in the road. Killing them I then choose to overrun into the 40 strong NG unit instead of holding, with 5 ranks, a Banner, BSB and outnumbered the NG are already starting ahead of me on CR. The result the Hammerers are brutalised, flee and are destroyed. The only good outcome in my turns are the Bolt-Throwers shooting down rank of full rank of NG from the trailing units.

Turns 5 - 6
The game is pretty much over now. Sheer weight of numbers sees my Quarrellers get chewed up by NG and Snotlings and only my Bolt-Throwers are left at the end of Turn 6.

End Result - Goblins Win 9-1

*****

Game 3 - Capture
Dwarves 2,250 pts vs. Wood Elves 2,250 pts

Having played a few games against Wood Elves before I kind of knew what to expect with this one. At the same time my opponent Joel used this army at RUNEFANG and did very well with it so I knew it would be particularly tough. For this battle I used the NICON list I posted in an earlier post while my opponent had:

Wood Elves 2,250pts
Treeman
Noble on a Budgie *ahem* Eagle
Mage
Mage
Glade Guard x10
Glade Guard x10
Glade Guard x10
Dryads x8
Dryads x8
Glade Riders x5
Wardancers x7
Wardancers x7
Wild Riders x6
Wild Riders x6
Eagle

Deployment
I deployed and moved first in this game. I opted from the beginning to aim all of my efforts at the 300 VP objective and ignore the others. Consequently, I concentrated my units on the left hand side of the board directly in line with that objective. The only exception were a Bolt-Thrower on its own just off center and the Gyrocopter out on the extreme right. Once again mistakes in deployment would prove to be costly in terms of the final result. First I forgot about Wood Elves ability to use Woods against you and deployed 1 unit of Quarrellers in a forest on the left hand table edge. The idea was to move them forward to cover the objective marker and to target the Glade Guard on the hill to their front, the forest offering soft-cover from the better Elven archers. My 2nd was putting the Organ Gun behind that forest where it was out of firing range for several turns. The idea here had been to have it set up so it could fire at the rear of my infantry holding the central objective. This would provide some modicum of protection against the Elven fast cavalry deployed on my far right. A good idea in theory it cost me with the Organ Gun being out the battle for too long.

Turns 1 - 2
Lots of shooting and movement in these turns as the Elven fast units wheeled from the right hand edge toward my right flank and as I moved toward the objective. All of the action was destined to take place around that left hand objective and my key aim was to survive long enough to claim the VP. Elven magic was dispelled in these turns, while their shooting proved more effective than mine killing 10 Quarrellers across both units and 2 Hammerers vs. a single Glade Guard and one Glade Rider.

Turns 3 - 4
Where things got nasty. The smaller unit of Hammerers (on my extreme left) charged the Glade Guard on the hill. At least they would have except the Dryad units were in the way. The Longbeards and other Hammerer unit (with accompanying Lord) were more toward the middle of the table. These angled right to meet the Elven cavalry, the Treeman and advancing Wardancers. This saw my line form a rough L ship with the Longbeards at the pivot and the Artillery lined up about 10" behind the L in a rough line - Elven units were spread eqaully on all sides of that L and approaching the Artillery.

My shooting was a little better here with the Eagle and numerous Glade Riders taken down by the Bolt-Throwers and few remaining Quarrellers (6 at this stage - a unit of 2 and a unit of 4). Elven shooting and more importantly magic (which I failed to dispel) caused more damage though, as did the fast cavalry. I lost more Hammerers, my Gyro and a Bolt-Thrower in those phases.

Turns 4-5 "The Meatgrinder"
I stopped taking effective notes here as my attention was firmly fixed on the grand melee around the 300VP objective. In simple terms this involved my Longbeard unit of 25 with BSB, and my Hammerer unit of 19 (now 11) with Lord and combats in the following order (I think as my memory is terrible):

  • Treeman & Glade Riders charge the Hammerers & Lord (the other Hammerers were by this time quite dead)
  • Wardancers flank charge the Hammerers
  • Longbeards flank charge Treeman.
  • Dyrads flank charge Longbeards.
  • Wardancers rear charge Longbeards.
Over 3-5 rounds the Treeman cut down my BSB, Longbeard Champion and Hammerer Champion before I finally had no choice but to accept his challenge with my Lord - SOMETHING I SHOULD HAVE DONE FIRST TIME ROUND (YET ANOTHER MISTAKE). The Wardancers, damn they are brutal, cut down 7-8 Hammerers and 3-4 Longbeards while the Dryads took out a few more. In return my Lord slaughtered the Glade Riders who were routed and destroyed. The also forced the Wardancers to flee and eventually with the help of the Longbeards (and the 3 Hammerers left alive by this time) paniced the Treeman as well. The Longbeards also killed off the other Wardancers and forced the Dryads to flee. The RO Stoicism on both units, the War Banner on the Longbeards and their 3 ranks were a telling factor as sheer numbers and better armour helped me win on CR. I was lucky though in that the Wardancers were unable to cut through the Hammerers fast enough, and in that their Stubborness kept them stationary long enough for the Longbeards to get the flank charge in.

Turns 5 - 6
The remaining couple of turns saw the Dryads finish of the 2 man Quarreller unit and my remaining Bolt-Thrower. The Budgie rider killed the other 4 Quarrellers and was drawn into combat with my Runesmith and the Organ Gun crew where he stayed (Budgie less eventually) till games end. My Longbeards and Hammerers were unable to make any further headway and the game ended with the Elves in charge of 2 of the key objectives and a large part of the battlefield.

Final Result - Victory to the Elves 15-9

7 comments:

Joel said...

Hey its Joel,

Nice blog and great battle report of my galant defence of my sacred grove. I look forward to the next time we line up our armies and you get a chance to defile my sacred grove in a way only the stumpy dawi can. :)

John said...

Thanks Joel is was good seeing you and your wood elves again too - maybe we should arrange a grudge match for Horned Rat?!?

Joel said...

Sounds like a plan...be warned im bringing dragon, treeman and big block of eternal guard to horned rat...I want static combat resolution! haha

If you want to grudge match round 1 email Peter Dunn and I'll happily accept any gauntlet thrown on the ground in my direction. :)

M said...

Hey John,

Great read. What do you use to generate the maps? I have been playing around with paint and Photo Shop but not really thrilled with the results.

Joel said...

M,

Go to asrai.org. They have links in their forum (battlereports sub forum) on how to do a map mock up for online play...it looks pretty good

Darth Weasel said...

Sounds like you had fun which is always good.


And though they suck giant steaming pits of monkey armpit sweat for me, glad to hear the Wardancers do good for somebody, even though sorry it was you that suffered it. I have yet to see them win a combat, even the time they got 19 attacks with WS and S advantages to 4 attacks for the opponent...and lost. Or the time they had the High Ground and the charge...and lost. Or the time...oh, never mind Enjoyed the read.

John said...

Thanks guys link for battle report builder is on left hand menu but is

marcusbeli.es/web/tacticas/despliegue_mb/mb_despliegue.html

Hmmm a Dragon say you - me thinks my Cannons would like that