August 19, 2009

CTA 09 Final tournament results out

Final results for latest tournament were just released. Scoring system was:

Battle Points - 40%
Sportsmanship - 20%
Composition - 25%
Presentation - 15%

A score of 16.67/25 for composition is pretty standard for Dwarfs with a good balance between shooting and infantry. I only had 5 DD and 2 Scrolls. My Lord wasn't over the top in terms of protection with a basic 1+ re-rollable AS which compared to Generals in other armies is pretty tame, e.g., Chaos Demons, Chaos Warriors, Wood Elves. I also had nearly 50% of my army points invested in core troops, so I am really not sure where I lost out in this area.

Presentation score of 8/15 is understandable, particularly given the really amazing armies that were on display at the tournament so I am reasonably happy with that. It puts me kind of in the middle which is cool.


Looking over the results though I can't help wonder what a better comp score would have meant for my finishing position. I have more battle points than the armies in 10th and 11th, 14th and 15th, but worse comp scores which seems to be the major reason I finished in 18th not higher. What exactly is a Dwarf player supposed to do???

Mind you what really cost me was my poor decision making in my final game after getting a strong advantage following deployment. That and my general running away and dying in Game 3 giving my opponent a 650pt turnaround in VP. Would have swung the scoring in that game from 9-11 in his favour to maybe 12-8 or 14-6 in mine.

4 comments:

Philfy said...

John, I think we played in the last round? (Phil) - In regards to your comp scores, I think you scored just below a 4/5 on average. (I scored just below 3/5 with my Wood Elves). If it helps, the comp scores were a little "wonky" in some regards (as I have discussed on the Cityguard forum.

I voted you as my best/favourite opponent/sport for the weekend. You really made me think about my game, and how I could possibly crack open your dwarven line.

Hope to play again some day!

Philfy

Toshi David said...

Look at it this way John, you were the hightest ranked Dwarf player!!!!

:)

Nice work dude, looks like you had fun!

Randroid said...

Ugh. I really don't like comp.

It's silly that your list score so badly on comp - only 3 points away from a DoC list? Please.

Bring a straight gunline next time out. If players are going to ding your list for comp you might as well get something out of it.

John said...

Hi Phil lol I voted for you as well, it was a very very enjoyable game. Still can't beat Wood Elves GRRR damn sneaky pointy ears :)

After making that post I did kind of realise that 4/5 isn't that bad it was just the disappointment of seeing guys with less battle points finishing higher GRRRR!!