February 16, 2010

WM Battle Reports: Menoth vs. Khador/Circle

*ahem* snuck away early from work yesterday to play a couple of games of Warmachine against Toshi's Khador and Emmas Circle. Got three games in overall a 1v1 vs. Circle and 1v1 vs. Khador at 15pts each, and a 2v1 at 30pts against both of them.

Photos taken on Phone so not that great

Game 1 vs. Circle
Up against a small but reasonably powerful Circle force I took, as planned, the High Reclaimer with an infantry dominated 15pt list of:

- pReclaimer
- Revenger
- Knights Exemplar (6)
- Exemplar Seneschal
- Deliverer Sunburst
- Paladin Order of Wall
- Paladin Order of Wall

The two armies face eathother at game start with Menoth at the bottom of screen, the Sunburst is off to the left on a small hill

The Circle army and their horde of Fury tokens a system that still weirds me out

Game didnt start well Circle used the Crevice spell and their various other special abilities to great effect wiping out most of the Exemplars in the opening turn. The Revenger advanced forward as far as it could go to provide Arc Node coverage for the Reclaimer but with the primary infantry screen down I was in serious trouble early. A key issue was that Circle spells and abilities were not destroying my infantry but removing them from play (a confusing rule definition I haven't figured out yet) meaning I couldn't resurect them all.


AH HA HA take that Heretics my Holy Warriors return from Menoths embrace!!!

With only the Reclaimer and the Paladins left the game turned after my initial setbacks when I used the Reclaimers feat to resurrect one of the Seneschals and 2 Exemplars in the Circle Warcasters rear arc. Charging in straight away the Seneschal scored hits with both of his swords, and again with his special ability slamming the Circle caster 5" straight back killing him in one go.

Only looky looky the Circle caster is about to die

Game result as satisfying victory against Circle, but one balanced out by the fact that Emma is new to the game and is (unfortunately for her) not used to what Menoth can do. My Revenger did get slaughtered as did the Sunburst and half of the Exemplars. The damn pillar of salt and Crevice spells were down right irritating as well as extremely effective.

Game 2 vs. Khador
Slight variation to list this time around to include a heavy warjack, the Castigator, to counter Toshis prediliction for Beast 09 and Drago his Khador special Jacks. Again with High Reclaimer list was:

- pReclaimer
- Castigator
- Knights Exemplar (6)
- Deliverer Sunburst
- Paladin Order of Wall
- Paladin Order of Wall
- Wracks (3)

The holy army of Menoth face off against the Heretics of Khador

Castigator would hopefully be able to chomp through his units while the Knights did the rest. Paladins as usual hung back to as Warcaster protection. Wracks were there primarily as at 1pt they filled a gap in the pts and gave me some extra focus. But with the Reclaimer getting soul tokens from dead troopers they are a bit redundant with him.



Ok, not a good way to start. I rush straight ahead and next thing I know both heavy Khador Jacks have slammed into my Castigator and the two Paladins. One Paladin goes down as does the Castigator and the Knights get tangled up with the damn Mechanics. With the Reclimar wide open I have to pop my feat to resurect the only dead trooper, the Paladin, as a shield to stop the Khador Jacks charging him. So what does Toshi do - he tramples the new Paladin and all of the Exemplars leaving me with a couple of wracks and the Reclaimer left alive. Game over.

Game 3 vs. Khador & Circle @ 30/35pts
Facing two warcasters I was able to take 35pts vs. Khador and Circles 15 each to even the contest up. Originally planning on using the Reclaimer I noticed Feora was in the box of models I had brought with me so she popped out. Final list was:

- pFeora
- Heirophant
- Revenger
- Castigator
- Crusader
- Choir (4)
- Exemplar Seneschal
- Exemplar Seneschal
- Knights Exemplar (6)
- Deliverer Sunburst

Plan for this one was quite simple. With Toshi and Emma deploying on opposite sides of the board, Toshi with the Old Witch and her ScrapJack and Emma with the same Circle list from Game 1, I wanted to use the Revengers arc node to pin down the Old Witch while concentrating everything onto Circle. Kill them and then move onto Khador who were the weaker of the two lists in this game.

Best performers of this game were the Seneschals. They kept popping back up everywhere and getting healed thanks to Circle killing off the troopers around them. Even Pillar of Salt and endless Crevice spells (stupid thing should be limited - I mean honestly my Jacks must have been hopping from one chasm to the next across the board) I managed to butcher most of Circle in short order before turning my attention to Khador. Problem was by this stage Circle had done some serious damage. The Castigator was unable to take Focus and had nearly all of systems within a few points of being crippled, while the Crusader had lost 1/4 of its damage boxes. The Knights were down to a unit of 2, the Heirophant was dead (killed by stupid Cossack things), as were the Choir bar the leader and the Seneschals. With time running out (as I had to go home to have dinner with the family) we called the game a draw.

Was definately fun to play Feora again I just love setting stuff on fire, and Seneschals are brutal. Once I have finished repainting my High Elves Menoth will be getting the full paint-stripping, repainting treatment, Warjacks included. Might take me a year to do it but Ill get it done.

Warmachine is a lot of fun and was thoroughly enjoyable playing it again - even if I still struggle to beat Toshi whose encyclopedic knowledge of every armies strengths & weaknesses is somewhat scary - and will be taking WM to my local club more regularly from now on.

1 comment:

Binz said...

Hi! Writing during work time I see.... no judgment I'm reading during work time. I thoroughly enjoyed our games yesterday and look forward to slaughtering you next time (fingers crossed :) ).

And if you think crevasse is annoying try playing against Seneschals!

Emma :)