May 24, 2010

WHFB @ 1000 & 1500pts

Playing a couple of the newer club members in Warhammer Fantasy this week and next week. Games will be at 1000 & 1500pts so we might be able to get in 2 each night depending on how we go. Given points restrictions Ill use Dwarfs for both so I can cram in more infantry :)

Been a while since I played games this size so its kind of hard to figure out a decent list especially as I have no idea what my opponent is bringing. But the usual rules apply - 1 character, no BSB and an Organ Gun as standard. One advantage though is that I can play Dwarfs without having to write up detailed army lists, benefits of experience.

Dwarfs @ 1,000pts

Thane
w. GW, MR Kragg Grimm, RO Snorri, MR Gromil, RO Furnace
Longbeards x21
w. FC, Shields, RO Sanctuary, RO Stoicism
Warriors x10
w. Shields, Mu
Warriors x10
w. Shields, Mu
Quarrellers x10
w. Mu, Shields
Quarrellers x10
w. Mu, Shields
Organ Gun

TOTAL 999pts

Longbeards have MR1 in case 4 dice and no scrolls aren't enough at 1000pts. Two units of Warriors give me reasonable flexibility as do two units of Quarrellers. Thane has been RO Snorri because at this points level your better off ensuring you are going to hit someone, and with this he is basically hitting on 2's and wounding on 2's against most opponents.

Dwarfs @ 1,500 pts

Would expect some harder hitting enemy units here so BSB re-rolls become more important. Also time to add another warmachine.

Runesmith (General)
w. RO Striking, RO Stone, Shield, RO Spellbreaking, RO Furnace
BSB
w. RO Snorri, RO Cleaving, MR Gromil, RO Furnace
Longbeards x20
w. FC, Shields, RO Sanctuary, RO Stoicism
Warriors x10
w. Mu, Shields
Warriors x10
w. Mu, Shields
Quarrellers x10
w. Mu, Shields
Quarrellers x10
w. Mu, Shields
Hammerers x15
w. FC, RO Stoicism
Organ Gun
Cannon
w. RO Forging

TOTAL 1,500pts

Runesmith becomes general to give me 5DD & 1 scroll which is more than suffucient at this points level. Hammerers get added to give me a nice strong Stubborn unit for one flank. Cannon goes in as normal with RO Forging but no engineer due to points cost. BSB loses GW because of restrictions so gets RO Cleaving inside to bring him to S5 still hitting on 2's. Both characters as usual get RO Furnace making them immune to all flaming attacks.

5 comments:

Robin Sutton said...

Reading your lists, and rationale, is very useful. I've dabbled a little in WFB, and have a small dwarf force, but need to better understand what to choose and (more importantly) why. Big problem is that I don't play enough WFB..

http://wargamingnz.blogspot.com/


Where do you teach? I'm SM Curriculum at Christ's in Christchurch.

Cheers
Robin

John said...

Thanks for stopping by Robin. Theres a lot of my blog about how and why i select various units to use when playing Dwarfs. Just have a hunt through.

And I teach at Massey

Robin Sutton said...

Uni?

Nice

Kind regards
Robin

Trollhoer said...

You might have a problem against knights and other heavy armored enemies. While I love the cannon against large targets, I think it's more useful in 2000+ games, and would go with two bolt throwers here instead. I'd also consider finding the points to swap one unit of quarrelers for thunderers. If you're going with two ranged units, I think it's a good idea to go with one each against all comers.

John said...

I take yr point but I prefer the Cannon yes its only 1 shot vs. 2 from 2 BT which cost the same with Engineers. But you have to roll to hit with a BT and my run of luck with them is poor. That and I havent used a cannon for a while