June 11, 2010

1st Flames of War Platoon completed

Completed my Fallschirmjager Mortar Platoon last week. Other pictures are of 1st Fallschirmjager Infantry Platoon, one of 3 to be done. Also have the Anti-tank Platoon to go as well.


Bases are the 4 8cm Mortars and their crews, 2 Forward Observers and the 3 man HQ Squad. Decked out uniforms in standard splinter camo used by FJ during almost the entire war. These models were also the first time I had used Vallejo paints that are almost perfectly designed for the Flames of War range.

I also constructed a simple wet palette out of some baking paper and the box that one of my Menoth units came in using the plastic container and the foam packing as the base of the palette. Found that it works wonders but you have to get the amount of water just right, and that you need to put the shiny side of the baking up face up or down??? Still havent got that bit right yet.



I was going to go with snow basing as I have this done pretty well and it would allow me to use these guys as either Mid-War Russian front FJ or LW Western Europe units during the end of 1944. However, I really like the idea of fielding a FJ Regiment from either the Normandy or Holland campaigns. This will require me to buy or borrow the Hells Highway intelligence briefing at some point though.

Flocking stayed simple at the moment as I am sourcing some alternative stuff from Aussie through my gaming club that really adds something extra as it comes in larger clumps of tall static grass and looks fantastic. Also much easier to apply.


Infantry were painted using the following colours. Splinter Camo was Vellajo Beige Brown as a basecoat. Then Citadel Snot Green and Bestial Brown as the splinter camo elements of top. These were then given a liberal coat of Mud Wash once all the other detailing was done to dull them down. Bread bag is Fortress Grey. Trousers Vellajo Field Grau. Webbing Citadel Scorched Brown with Snakebite Leather highlights. Pistol Holsters and Boots black. Skin Citadel Dwarf Flesh with Flesh Wash highlights. The collars and cuffs of the uniforms were then edged with Citadel Catachan Green.


Forgot just how long it took to paint 15mm figures and how easily the paint would rub off them when you touch them. Had to constantly touch them up. Decided on a tricky way of basing by applying the filler to the bases first and then painting them. I would then cut out holes to fit the painted figures before applying the flock to cover up the bases.

Looking forward to painting the next lot.

Coming up next week though is a 3000pt WHFB game my High Elves vs. Adams Dwarfs in Round 3 of our epic grudge match. Currently tied 1-1 so should be fun.

3 comments:

Itchy (aka Jared) said...

That is a sharp looking mortar platoon. I had considered attempting a Fallschirmjaegerkompanie but I was too intimidated by the splinter camo. You definitely pulled it off!!

I know very little about FoW but I thought I might like to give it a shot. I actually ordered grenadierkompanie HQ blister over the weekend.

I look forward to watching your army take shape!!

Itchy (aka Jared) said...

It's me again. I meant to ask this question in my last comment and totally forgot. I feel like a tool.

Anyway, what do you use to stick your FoW infantry models to those popsicle sticks?

It looks like a brilliant way to paint in 15mm and is something I will be doing myself.

John said...

Its bluetac mate