July 29, 2010

Painting/Modelling goals for summer season

With summer and the cricket season fast approaching I need to start thinking about my painting projects for the summer period - Oct through March. Basically I get very little or no gaming in during that period as (1) my local club shuts down from Nov - Feb and (2) with cricket taking up all day Saturday, the odd Sunday, and practices on Tuesdays gaming takes a back seat as I would prefer to spend that time with my wife and kids.

So WHFB etc as my "winter" sports get put on the shelf and instead I concentrate on painting. Probably one reason I struggle during the first few tournaments of the year as I go in (as I did at Runefang III) having only played 1 or 2 games beforehand.

So what are my goals for the coming summer period? Last year I worked on repainting my High Elf army a project that took nearly a year but finally got finished (well nearly, still a couple of models left) with some good results.

This season my primary aim will be to undertake the same process with my Dwarfs although I will not go to the same extreme and paintstrip every single model but will keep it more simple.

PAINTING & MODELING GOALS FOR SUMMER SEASON (Oct 2010 - March 2011)

WHFB Dwarfs
  1. Touch up my Hammerers (38 of them) adding highlights and shading to improve their look
  2. Paint a full unit of Miners (20), currently only have 8 badly painted ones done.
  3. Rebase/flock my entire collection to make the army uniform in look.
  4. Finish building & painting more balsa wood movement trays for the army.
WHFB High Elves
  1. Finish my Dragon Prince unit - only have 3 models left to do.
  2. Finish that damn Dragon, the reins and riders chair have been waiting paint for a year now
  3. Fix my BSB on foot and Mounted Hero, paint strip and redo to give me more list options.
FOW Fallschirmjager
  1. Finish at least one of my 2 remaining combat Platoons.
  2. Build and paint 2 objective markers
Doesnt seem like too much although the basing and reflocking will take a lot of time - but ill keep it really simple. The Silflor tufts I used for my FOW Fallschirmjager will look pretty good on WHFB figures so Ill have to order more of those.

If I do get any gaming in, it will be very small games only and I will probably concentrate on playing FOW as I would really like to attend a couple of FOW tournaments next year especially the major local event Panzershrek.

No comments: