May 17, 2011

GW now announces its May price rises - YAH!!!

Hot on the heels of the decision to ban sales of GW products between hemispheres is GW latest round of price increases. This means that not only are New Zealand gamers going to forced to buy locally at prices that are 40-50% higher than what we paid when ordering online from the UK, but now those prices are going up even further. Average increase appears to be around 10% but some items are going up more.

So what do we have? A brand new edition of Warhammer, lots of new books, lots of new models most in smaller unit sizes and all at a higher cost. These costs will only get worse outside the US once you add on shipping, exchange rate fluctuations and mark ups from the various businesses that come between GW and the local retailer.

For a list of some of the price changes and a link to the rest check out Bell of Lost Souls

Lucky for me I spent up large recently (inc. a last order with Maelstrom today) and have all of the Dwarf and High Elf models I need, but this news kills off any ideas I did have about starting a third army, at least in the short term (right now a 2nd FOW army looks more likely, maybe). Not sure what the long-term effects of these recent events will be. The rage posting has already started on various forums with people yelling I QUIT as loudly as possible, which personally I think is a bit stupid but hey people need to vent.

Some guys will quit and switch to other games most i suspect will keep playing because like me, they love collecting and painting the models, love the fluff and new rules for 8th and really really enjoy playing the game. I just wont be buying as much as often as I used to, at least not brand new anyway.

7 comments:

da Gobbo said...

what was the justification for such a monsterous increase? I thought we NH hobbyists were taking a pounding! I can only afford plastic models now as I can only sell one kidney (my wife won't allow me to sell them both so bang goes the horde of greenskins!)- you guys will need to get a new mortgage to fund your gaming addictions! I just can't understand this move...

John M said...

Conspiracy theorists in the local community argue that because the pound and US dollar have lost so much value vs. the Kiwi & Aussie dollar GW is losing money here. Banning NH sales to the SH and increasing prices helps get some of that back.

Personally, I think GW is struggling like any company is in the recession, that and the hobbyists at its core are losing control a little bit.

Qalpha said...

Well the short term solution and possibly a growth market is that of Indie Organisations... While GW shop/clubs may enforce a corret model policy, i think just about any independent hobby group/shop/club/tournament will allow the use of any suitable figure as long as the specific basing/painting restrictions are left intact (assuming that there are any). Of course once you start using other miniatures you may find yourselves using other rule systems as well...

i think the main considerations to be taken into account are the benefits and or necessities of remaining loyal, afterall there are many ways of fulfilling this particular addiction.

Hope you find away around the latest sales policies.

da Gobbo said...

think you're probably right the moneymen are making the decisions over the enthusiasts. As a lifelong veteran of GW & Citadel I remember the good old days when the guys producing the models were every bit the hobbyist that I was and not just a salesman trying to part me from my wallet! It won't stop playing the games as I love them too much but will prob make do with existing models for a while or source from another manufacturer like Mantic.

John M said...

Yeah the Mantic Dwarfs are quite cool and they are expanding out into Orcs now. Problem is the scale variations mean you would have to field an entire army with the Mantic miniatures, at least I would to keep things looking uniform.

I'm lucky in that I have all the models I currently want - although new Dwarf and High Elf books will most likely change that.

For new gamers though, or those looking at expanding from the IoB boxed set this decision is really going to hurt them.

da Gobbo said...

the trouble is i've got half an army of dwarfs, a few units of Empire that could do with some reinforcements that I've dragged out of my attic when I got back into the hobby and I guarantee that I'm not the only one. Like I say hard enought o swallow price increases in the NH so feel for you guys down under, looks like GW are relying on the fanatacism of the hobbyist to ensure sales! personally I like the look of Mantic's Abyssal Dwarfs so maybe I'll just download the PDF unofficial Chaos Dwarf book and collect the followers of Hashut instead of the D/Elves I fancied...

John M said...

If Mantic expand their Orcs range then Ill start an army. Im also planning on buying the new TK book and possibly going made on Trade Me the Kiwi version of ebay as local players are dumping TK figures like crazy right now.

Still, everytime I say I have enough figures i end up buying more