December 27, 2011

Starting a new Warhammer Army

Must be the Christmas Spirit but I'm giving serious consideration to starting up a 3rd WHFB army.  High Elves and Dwarfs are great but I feel I need something a little different and perhaps more nasty.

I did build a decent VC army a year or two ago but enjoyed painting it more than playing it (only used it 3-4 times) and sold it all on - save for a single Female Vampire.  Pity really as it was probably my best painted army - lots of pics on the blog still (think I have them linked somewhere) - well best painted army that hadnt required paint stripping.

So what do I choose?

Wood Elves
To nice, they dont suit my play style and I really dont like them as an army.

Dark Elves
Very nasty army, never enjoyed playing against them much, so are Evil enough.  But too many infantry figures to paint, I already have Elves, any colour scheme would clash with my High Elves and they dont interest me

Brettonians
Too many horses - can't paint horses, and the armies too one dimensional for me.  That and they a Nice race.

Empire
Another 'Nice' race, lots of horses and lots of infantry.  A lot of options too and basically too fiddly for me.  Really like the Preistly magic side of things, the Warmachines and detachments.  But they're not for me.

Skaven
HA HA definately no - my Dwarfs would up and leave.

Warriors of Chaos
Evil yes, but no shooting (1 or 2 exceptions aside) and I like shooting.  Again like Dark Elves I had a lot of bad experiences playing against them which puts me off playing with them.

Beasts of Chaos
Don't interest me.

Daemons of Chaos
Don't interest me and honestly seem a bit OTT.

Vampire Counts
New book coming out soon, but I didnt like using them under 7th and dont plan on going back.

Lizardmen
Hmmmm??  Great looking army, cool book, lots of nasties and useful range of options.  But just dont do it for me.

Tomb Kings
Very cool new book, but too much like Vampires for me.

Orcs n Goblins
Always wanted an O&G army.  The new book is awesome - might buy it for the hell of it - and the army plays really well.  But every man and his dog has OnG at the moment.

That leaves....

OGRE KINGDOMS
New book, new figures, new toys and a cool mix of combat, magic and shooting.  Plus they are Evil with some great fluff.  That and the models (Gnoblars aside) are all large and you only need a few per unit so theres less to paint, and what you do have to paint is less fiddly than Elves or Dwarfs.

So Ogre Kingdoms it is - getting a nice Xmas bonus next week in lieu of recent Union negotiated back pay, so I might pop out and buy the new book.  Will also look at the new Batt box....

Oh and of course theirs more Plastic Soldier Company vehicles to buy (PzIII, PzVs and SdKfz 251s) and some FOW books - North Africa, Monte Cassino and Grey Wolf.  Going to be a good year 2012

6 comments:

Hobby Horse said...

You forgot chaos dwarfs!

Not a fan myself of the fatties, but I can understand your reasoning. Have a flabtastic new year ;)

James Brewerton said...

Orc and goblin all the way, if you play in non GW tournament you can get some truly great goblin figures now (and cheaper most of the time too
Peace James

Pete Dunn said...

The Ogres that I'm using to crush Tane's Dwarfs tonight have only 38 models. And I'm only using three characters.

Certainly you can get a very effective army on the table with 40 models. However they aren't cheap unless you make you own characters out of plastics. The Mournfang sprues have lots of extras which you can use for Maneaters, Bruiser and Butchers.

Good luck with it.

Oh and the ogres aren't really evil!

Pete Dunn said...

The Ogres that I'm using to crush Tane's Dwarfs tonight have only 38 models. And I'm only using three characters.

Certainly you can get a very effective army on the table with 40 models. However they aren't cheap unless you make you own characters out of plastics. The Mournfang sprues have lots of extras which you can use for Maneaters, Bruiser and Butchers.

Good luck with it.

Oh and the ogres aren't really evil!

Stay classy San Diego... said...

Sorry if this is already posted once but the account login messed up the comment.

Ogres are great, following the release of the new book I started to compliment my Dwarfs. I don't regret it, they are very balanced under 8th edition and it's nice to be on the other end of MI and huge creatures for once. A very fun army to play with.

One caveat to your reasoning however, is that they are not evil. They fall directly between good and evil, existing only to eat and fight. They are not predisposed to slaughter the forces of good. In fact, considering evil actively seeks a fight more than good, they are likely to fight against evil forces far more than good. Armies such as the Empire mean Ogres are generally employed by good more than evil. To collect them on an evil basis would be a big mistake, they just aren't. The big attraction to me is that they exist outside of anything like that, they are unique in Warhammer.You will see when you get the book.

John M said...

Oops I forgot that they arent truly evil, but they are definately different which is the big attraction for me. That and I already have ideas for a colour scheme.

Cheers for comments everyone, and cheers for the advice Pete.