January 31, 2012

Latest arrivals & High Elf Army List @ 2400pts

More parcels in the post this time some helpful additions to my High Elves with 10 more White Lions and 5 more Phoenix Guard.  These will allow me to flesh out my units of both type (with unit fillers) to 28-30 models something that I see as necessary under 8th Edition.  Alternatively I could run two smaller units of 12-15 of each type or 1 small unit of each.  Going to be a month or so before I can start painting them though as I have to order some Iron Halo bases first and finish off my Chariots.


Either way I am going to have to get them finished before March 3rd if I am to take my High Elves, rather than my Dwarfs, down to Runefang V the first Wellington WHFB tournament of the year.  At their last outing the list was restricted to 2000pts but increasing it to 2400 gives me some extra options, and I plan on trying something a little different.  My current thinking is for the following:

High Elves @ 2400pts

Archmage Level 4 - 315pts (w. Phoenix Guard)
w. Silver Wand, Talisman of Preservation

Mage Level 2 - 135pts (w. Spears)
w. Dispel Scroll, Amulet of Light

Noble - 168pts (w. Spears)
w. Battle Standard, Great Weapon, Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix

40 x Spears - 395pts
w. Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame

14 x Archers - 159pts
w. Musician

12 x Archers - 137pts
w. Musician

14 x Phoenix Guard - 240pts
w. Full Command

28 x White Lions - 470pts
w. Full Command, Ironcurse Icon, Standard of Discipline

5 x Dragon Princes - 160pts
w. Musician

Tiranoc Chariot - 85pts

Tiranoc Chariot - 85pts

Great Eagle - 50pts

TOTAL 2,399 pts

This list is derived from a 2000pt list I used at Runefang IV last year.  The list makes some significant changes to that which are:
  • Inclusion of Lvl 2 Mage with that all important Dispel Scroll.
  • 2nd Archer unit and loss of Archers Light Armour.
  • P/Guard reduced from 24 to 14 and removal of Banner of Sorcery.
  • W/Lions increase from 21 to 28 to become a stronger melee unit.
  • Spears increase from 30 to 40 and get Banner of Eternal Flame rather than War Banner.
  • Inclusion of the 2 Chariots.
All up the extra 400pts gives me slightly more magic, more movement and tactical flexibility and greater melee power.  Ill try and organise some games at the Club when it reopens next month to test this out.


Some Great Online Reading
Been finding some real gems online among the gaming blog community this week as well.  The following posts in particular caught my eye:

Basing Tutorial @ Noestes Painting and Modelling
A simple to follow and well illustrated tutorial on effective basing from a painter whose work I have admired for sometime now.

Making a display board @ The Magnificent Bastards
For starters this guy has one of the best, if not THE best, Dwarf army I have seen.  Wonderfully themed and painted with some outstanding conversion work.  This tutorial on the making of a display board for his army comes just as I begin my own planning for the same thing.  If you want to see his outstanding Dwarf army then click here



4 comments:

Pete Dunn said...

Get a Book of Hoeth in there and scare the bejesus out of everyone

John M said...

Dont like it leaves Mage unprotected and too vulnerable for something thats worth 400-500VP.

Can u keep a spot open for me at Runefang still working on getting "ahem" spousal approval to attend

PaW said...

your taking 7 Spells of magic yet not taking the banner of sorc? How come ?
I know I limited it 12 dice, but you are more likely to get 12 dice with the banner of sorc. Just my 2c :)

John M said...

I'd was going to give it to the P/Guard but opted for the Eagle instead. But ill play test it first and see how it goes. Your right though the BoS would give me a higher prob of getting the dice I need