If your a FOW player then this game is actually a must as it really does provide so fantastic game play lessons. Notable first hand lessons you'll pick up or get reinforced are:
- Importance of terrain in blocking LOS and giving cover.
- Defensive nature of SPG and TD.
- Use of speed to flank heavier Tanks to get shots at side/rear armour.
- Danger of artillery to Tanks.
- Just how hard to kill Soviet heavy tanks are - I mean seriously it can take upto 10 shots from a Pak 40 style gun to kill a freaking KV sometimes.
- It includes experimental and what-if Tanks i.e. those not in production during the war or that the developers think could have been. Consequently you run up against French Heavy Tanks like the AMX40 for instance?!? Personally I think that if it wasnt in production and in active service during the war then it shouldnt be in the game - but thats just me.
- Match ups mix up the countries i.e. you have mixed teams of Allies/Axis playing Allies/Axis. Again its a personal quirk but I'd prefer it if servers put all the German tanks on one team and the allied tanks on the other.
- Damn KV's killing me with one shot.
So far I'm sticking exclusively to German vehicles and am currently running:
Pz38t with a 4.7cm Pak 38(t) L43. A light fast tank which being fully upgraded has a quick reload time and fast turret traverse. In games where your up against similar tier vehicles or maybe 1 tier higher it does very well. However, those games where I end playing against Tier 5+ vehicles or up-gunned Tier 4's then it gets blown away quite easily.
Long term I'm looking forward to upgrading to a Jagdpanther and the Panther Tank at some stage.