July 4, 2012

Late War FOW tournament Call to Arms 2012

The biggest tournament each year in my region is Call to Arms run by the Wellington Warlords.  The annual event covers FOW, DBM, WHFB, WH40K and WM and usually has strong fields in each event.  I've attended three CTA events so far playing WHFB and Dwarfs every time.  The last event was particularly enjoyable as it involved a Karak Eights Campaign tournament involving Orc n Goblin, Skaven and Dwarf players only separate from the main WHFB competition.

This year Im going to do something different as to be honest WHFB has lost its appeal over the last few months and I've entered the Flames of War competition.  Its Late War 1750pts and should feature a pretty strong field. I've got two real options as far as armies go my Fallschirmjager or a Panzer Company.  Painting and model wise my Fallschirmjager have more options, but I collected the Panzers in order to use them so Im not too sure.  Panzer Company would probably come from Fortress Europe or the Panzer Lehr lists, and FJ will definately come from Hells Highway.

Current thinking (I have a couple of weeks to submit my final list) is for one of the follwing.

6th Fallschirmjager Regiment
Hells Highway

von der Heydte & 4 Panzerfaust Trap Teams

Company HQ - 2 x Panzerfaust/SMG, 2 x Panzershrek, 2 x GW42
FJ Platoon - PF/SMG, 3 x Squads
FJ Platoon - PF/SMG, 3 x Squads
FJ AT Platoon - 4 x Pak 40
FJ AA Platoon - 3 x Flak 38
FJ Mortars - 1 section, 2 x GW42
Heavy Tank Hunters - 2 x Jagpanther

Total 1,745 (6 Platoons)

von der Heydte will be fun and Ive been wanting to play a list with Jagpanthers for a while.  List seems balanced enough to me maybe light on AT but as a defensive list it works fine.  Just need to look at it in terms of what Platoons I could live without in scenarios where the Reserves, and Delayed Reserves rules kick in.

The Panzer Company list is causing me more problems though in getting the balance right between Armour/Infantry/AA and Heavy/Medium armour.  I know you have to take Panthers but that reduces your points for everything else, and you also need infantry but could go without them?!? Will trawl the forums for inspiration, so far Im looking at something like

Panzer Company
Fortress Europe

CHQ - 2 x PzIVH
Panzer Platoon - 4 x PzIVH
Panzer Platoon - 3 x Panther 
Gepanzerte PzGr Platoon - PF/SMG + 3 Squads
Panzerspah - 1 x Sd250 + 2 x Sd250/9
Rockets - 3 x NW41
AA - 3 x Sdkfz 10/9

Total 1,745 (6 Platoons)

Have till 20th July (I think) and Ill pick the brains of everyone at the tournament this weekend for ideas as well... but leaning heavily toward my FJ as I have invested the most time into them.




No comments: