June 5, 2013

Finalising a new High Elf tournament list @ 2400pts

The deadline for submitting lists for my next WHFB Tournament Horned Rat is the 14th June.  I have two more club nights before that date giving me the option of (a) trying two different lists and then trying to pick one or (b) picking a list now and practicing with it twice.  Decided to go with (b) and will be opting for the following list over the next two weeks and possibly for Horned Rat.

The major thing for me in this list is the absence of (a) Spears which have always formed part of my armies up till now and (b) the Flamespyre Phoenix, I would like to take this but I also want to do a good job painting it and if I include it in my list then I would have to rush it.  So Ill take my time and get it ready for the bigger events coming up in August - November.

Anyway my proposed tournament list will be:

Archmage - 310pts
w. Level 4, Shadow, Book of Hoeth, Talisman of Endurance, Ironcurse Icon

Mage - 170pts
w. Level 2, High Magic, Dispel Scroll, Ring of Fury

Noble - 149pts
w. BSB, Armour of Caledor, GW

16 x Archers - 180pts
w. Musician, Standard Bearer

16 x Archers - 170pts
w. Musician

15 x Archers - 160pts
w. Musician

5 x Reavers - 90pts
w. Musician, Spears (no Bows)

23 x Phoenix Guard - 385pts
w. Full command, Banner of Eternal Flame

25 x White Lions - 405pts
w. Full command, Banner of the World Dragon

10 x Swordmasters - 140pts
w. Musician

10 x Swordmasters - 140pts
w. Musician

Eagle - 50pts

Eagle - 50pts 

COMPOSITION
Lord - 310
Hero - 319
Core - 600
Special - 1070
Rare - 100

Total - 2,399

Originally had 9 x Dragon Princes with the BoWD in there along with a mounted BSB carrying the Ogre Blade in place of the 2 units of Swordmasters.  But I like Swordmasters and I remain an infantry focused High Elf player and still struggle to use cavalry effectively.  While I would like to take my nicely painted unit of Dragon Princes I prefer something that strikes at S5 all the time even if their AS sucks compared to a mounted model.

Up against OnG tomorrow night so we'll see how this goes.

3 comments:

Mad said...

Your tournament list is very sweet ! I hope you'll be able to manage army with many shot (DE).

Good luck for your test !

John Murrie said...

Dealing with a lot of shooting is always a problem for High Elves so I'm relying on getting into combat quick and magic to help out.

The armies with the most shooting in the New Zealand meta tend to be Lizards, Wood Elves (of course) and Skaven but I think I can counter them. But not having cavalry my hurt me there.

flamesofthephoenix said...

I haven't been a big fan of using High Elf cavalry either. I love the Dragon Prince models, but the Strength 3 on subsequent round just doesn't cut it.

I don't think that you should fare too poorly against shooting lists. Between the 45 archer shots and the Soul Quench(s?) from the Mage, you should be able to damage their shooting. Also, the 2 main combat blocks do fairly well (for High Elves) against shooting.

I will be interested to see how the list performs for you.