June 18, 2013

Horned Rat WHFB Tournament & First Match Up

Well the army lists for Horned Rat Gobbo came out over the weekend and were quickly followed by the usual round of net analysis.  Personally I have no idea how good most of them are as I lack the encyclopedic knowledge of all the army books that the more competitive players seem to possess.  I do know that the there are a plethora of Daemon Princes that I really want to avoid along with a number of OnG armies that seem to contain nothing but characters and warmachines. 

Some lists are obviously quite hard, others harder, some fluffy and some very interesting - Tanes Dwarf no deployment (almost) list is one of these.  Most are going to be extremely difficult to take points off and I am starting to wish I had included the Flamespyre Phoenix in my list after all but we'll see how it all goes.

Anyway for the all the relevant posts on the 30 lists being taken to the tournament check out the following posts at Pete Dunns Fields of Blood
The army breakdown reflects a strong shift toward the newer books with the following armies taking part:
  • 5 x Warriors of Chaos, 
  • 5 x High Elves 
  • 4 x Orcs & Goblins
  •  3 x Ogre Kingdoms, 
  • 3 x Skaven
  •  2 x Lizardmen, 
  • 1 x Dark Elves
  • 1 x Daemons of Chaos 
  • 1 x Tomb Kings 
  • 1 x Empire, 
  • 1 x Dwarfs,  
  • 1 x Vampire Counts, 
  • 1 x Chaos Dwarfs
The first round draw was also released and in Round 1 I'm up against John Tailby's Dark Elves.  John's only just returned to the tournament scene after a prolonged absence but I remember playing against him with my 7th Ed High Elves and getting royally steamrollered.  Should be an interesting game - his list is very character heavy with approx. 1000pts in Lords/Heroes and a large Cold One Bus with 10 x Cold One Knights and mounted Dreadlord.  He also has a flying Master and most of his characters have 2+ AS etc so are going to be hard to kill.  Chaff wise theres a couple of units of harpies, 32 crossbows and the other usual bells and whistles.

Deployment wise he has 9 drops to my 10 but more chaff/throwaway units to put down before his key stuff than I do. 

Very much looking forward to the event aiming for better results this time round and to finish in the top 1/2 of the field or close to it.  

No comments: