My original plan aimed for blue flames coming from a brown/red coloured Phoenix with the Phoenix painted up to look more like a typical bird. The hottest part of the flames would be near the ends of the feathers mean I would have a dark body getting lighter and then darker again as it moved toward the end of the flames.
THE GRAND IDEA
The original plan was a disaster as what I ended up with was a red/white/blue colour scheme that looked HORRIBLE. So I hurriedly painted over the white and went with a different option my 1/2 caste Phoenix. The basic story is:
The 1/2 caste Phoenix is a Flamespyre that is getting older and in the process of turning to Frost hence its body still produces flames and generates heat but that heat is cooling in places leading to frost rather than flame coming from its wings.Whether this works or not is debatable but I LIKE IT - what you get is a bright flame coloured Phoenix body with Blue-icy flamed wings representing the gradual cooling down of the Phoenix's body - I mean there has to be a 1/2 way point right? They dont just go from full on Fire to full on Ice overnight?
I have to give a huge thank you to wife for her help with this as she gave me one great idea that really made everything come together in the end. Anyway basic process was as follows:
- Basecoats - Khemri Brown & Regal Blue
- Washes - Mud Wash & Nightshade
- Red areas - Scorched Brown, Mechrite Red, Scab Red, Red Gore, Wild Rider Red, Blazing Orange, Mystery Paint, Red Wash
- Blue areas - Enchanted Blue, Vallejo Skyblue 961
- Beak/Talons - Scorched Brown, Vomit Brown, Bleached Bone, Skull White, Ogryn Flesh Wash
- Eyes - Black, Goblin Green, Scorpion Green
Painting technique wise I did A LOT of drybrushing. The main colours Mechrite Red & Regal Blue were painted on, and I also ensured I got the Enchanted Blue areas painted properly. After that it was non-stop drybrushing. The final result looked great but was missing something - the red areas just didnt pop and I didnt have any yellow, and as its a primary colour couldn't make any. In stepped my wife with the suggestion that I try adding some gold. And thats what the mystery colour is dry-brushed Burnished Gold - which just really makes everything work.
Final note the rider is not glued in and I have painted the other insert in the same manner as the rest of the bird. The idea is that I just pop the rider or insert in depending on how I want to play the model.