August 17, 2013

Whitewashing Panzers with Vegemite...

My 10 Plastic Soldier Company PzIVs are going to get a winter makeover this month as part of a new project to build a Late War Fuhrer Begliet Panzer Company from the Fuhrer Brigades Briefing. As a guide I used the tutorial provided on the Battlefront website which outlined a number of techniques for getting the required look.

Not wanting to start over I opted to give the Vegemite option a go (much to my wifes amusement) applying it over the top of an already painted tank and then spraying with White.  Tested the process on a spare StuG G and then on a PzIV overall it turned out pretty well although the pattern isnt that great on the PzIV.

 
 
 
 
 
 
Very simple process and somewhat tasty as well...

6 comments:

Danisnotatree said...

I thought at first the vegemite reacted with the paint and turned it white... Looks good when you manage to get the "speckled" effect. Not sure how you achieve that with vegemite. Spraying it from distance? Could get messy.

David Greig said...

I would highly recommend using either AK Interactive worn effects fluid or Vallejo chipping medium for doing this. You will have a lot more control over the finish and can do thinner areas of whitewash with the paint underneath starting to show through.

Scott said...

Interesting, I thought you were joking about the vegemite... until I followed the link. How Bizarre!

John Murrie said...

Found that the vegemite starts to bubble up as the paint drys and you can scrub/wipe it off really easily.

Of the techniques BF listed Vegemite seemed the easiest. Applied it by using a stiff brush and stippling (think thats the right word) it onto the parts I wanted to stay non-white.

Good scrub with a toothbrush removed it all and also took lots of extra bits off.

Did consider the Vallejo stuff but this technique seemed quick and easy. It was - finished all 10 x PzIVs, 3 AA halftracks and 4 SdKfz 251s tonight.

Herman van Kradenburg said...

Astounding. The vegemite also does a great impersonation of rust! Unfortunately I don't think it will last, even with a sealing layer of varnish/alti-shine. Great technique. Thanks for sharing!

John Murrie said...

lol I hadnt noticed that - I have noticed that I didnt scrub them well enough so all of the models have retained a slight smell of Vegemite. Should confuse my opponents somewhat...