July 23, 2014

Trials & tribulations of limited comp - Dwarfs or Ogres for CTA

Call to Arms lists are due in a fortnight from now and like most Dwarf players I am struggling to get my head around the restrictions the minimal comp has imposed on us.  The key limitations are:

  • 500pt max unit size.
  • Max 4 template weapons, spells not included.
  • Max 5 warmachines, two-for-one count as one.
  • Max 4 flyers
Mike Kings admitted he wrote the comp before the new Wood Elf and Dwarf books came out and his intent was to get more people taking Bolt-Throwers which is cool.  Unfortunately for Dwarfs there are some problems with this limited comp:
  • Dwarf Bolt-Throwers are no longer 2:1
  • Everything except Organ Guns has a template 
  • While Gyros are no longer war-machines they do have templates.
Consequently, if you take 3-4 gyros you can't take any war-machines except Organ Guns.  If you take 4 war-machines (other than organ guns) you can't take any Gyros?  What to do - especially when you know (having talked to social gamers like Jeff Kent) that other lists are going to be filthy as heck.

I'm considering two options an Ogre list or a fun Dwarf list.

DWARFS @ 2400pts
Runesmith 
w. Shield, Ro Breaking, Ro Warding x2, Ro Stone, Shield
Runesmith
w. Shield, Ro Stone, Ro Spellbreaking x2
Thane
w. BSB, GW, MR Grungi, Ancestor Rune, Ro Stoicism
30 x Warriors
w. FC, GW
30 x Warriors
w. FC, GW
30 x Miners
w. Champion, Steam Drill
35 x Slayers
w. Standard, Strollaz Rune
Grudge-Thrower
w. Ro Accuracy, Ro Forging
Gyro
Gyro
Gyro-Bomber

Slayers will vanguard up (if I win the roll) and just have fun.  Thane gives one unit of Warriors stubborn, Gyros have lots of fun.  Gyro-bomber because why the hell not.  30 Miners can deploy either as normal troops or can choose to ambush (normally ambushers can't but the wording in the Dwarf book allows you the option of choosing either type of deployment).  For the scenarios being used - Blood n Glory with 15" deployment zone, Meeting Engagement with close deployment zones and Watch-tower - this list could be fun.  

Or I can just puss out and take Ogres

OGRES @ 2400pts
Slaughtermaster
w. Level 4, Lore of Heavens, Charmed Shield, Crown of Command, Dispel Scroll, T.of.Endurance
Bruiser
w. BSB, Rune Maw, Lookout Gnoblar, Heavy Armour
Butcher
w. Level 2, Lore of Great Maw, Hellheart
28 x Gnoblars
w. Musician
9 x Ironguts
w. FC, Standard of Discipline, Lookout Gnoblar
8 x Bulls
w. FC, Lookout Gnoblar
3 x Mournfang
w. Musician, Heavy Armour, IF
3 x Mournfang
w. Musician, Heavy Armour, IF
Sabretusk
Sabretusk
Sabretusk
Ironblaster
Ironblaster

No Pete Lite or ETC comp means I can take the Dispel Scroll/Hellheart double and two Ironblasters.  Sabres and Gnoblars give me 4 chaff units to chuck in peoples way.  Only requirement here is that I have to paint up 2 Mournfang.  Other stuff I need I can borrow.

Outside of NZTC I haven't taken my Ogres to a big points tournament just events at 1000 & 1200pts so this could be fun... but with McCrae not playing Dwarfs at CTA if I take them and do well I will get closer to him and that Dwarf General Icon???!?? what to do???




4 comments:

Tane said...

Take Ogres, Dwarves won't work well under that comp. 4 templates limits the only things in the book that can reach out and touch someone (war machines and gyros). Even a marching list needs gyros to work, and should have war machines to force commitment for when you lose the scout roll-off.

Take Ogres and stomp face instead.

The icon might have to stay with Macrae a little longer....

Jeffrey Kent said...

Hey this social gamer isn't the one complaining about comp on a blog while discussing how to make the filthiest ogre army he can.

I'm just going for a fun time!

<3 Jeff "Social Gamer" Kent

John Murrie said...

Lol if I don't grumble I'll lose my right to play dwarfs. 70% sure I'll take ogres though

Jeffrey Kent said...

But it's contagious! Regan was actually saying the words "grumble, grumble, grumble," during our game.

To think one day I was a sweet innocent boy with a night goblin army who was ruthlessly smashed apart by mean dwarves until the social gamer I am today was created.