April 23, 2015

Latest X-Wing acquisitions & this weeks games

The auctions haven't finished yet and I don't have the dosh in my account yet but my High Elves (and some FOW) are selling well so by Monday I'll have a nice chunk of spare cash in my account to play with.  Consequently, I couldn't help myself as I'm terribly impatient and placed orders today with Iconix and Mighty Ape for the following new additions to my X-Wing collection (The local retailer I have been using for X-Wing Games and Hobbies was unfortunately out of stock).

Because even with the new FAQ it's still a freaking awesome ship

Because one set isn't enough and I don't really want to buy a 2nd core set, even though the idea does have serious merit

For my Rebel's collection - have 2 X-Wings to which I'll either add 2 Z95's or 2 B-Wings

Well these ships are just freaking awesome - so why not have 4 of them so I can spam them

Cardboard templates get worn pretty quick and honestly are hard to see on a black play mat
Also managed 2 more games at the club on Tuesday night against Jeff using my two favourite lists up against a Bigg + B-Wing swarm and then IG88 and that Butterfly Scum-thingy.  Evening was notable for the appearance of a couple of new X-Wing players at the club so we had a lot of games going which was just great to see.

Game 1 - Sontir’s Swarm vs. Bigg's B-Wing Bash
98
TI
Sontir Fel – PS9
27
[Elite] Push the limit
[Mod] Hull upgrade
[Title] Royal Guard Tie
[Mod] Targeting computer
3
3
0
2
35
TF
Mauler Mithel – PS7
17
[Elite] Swarm Tactics
2
19
TF
Howlrunner  - PS8
18
[Elite] Swarm Tactics
2
20
TF
Academy Pilot – PS1
12


12
TF
Academy Pilot – PS1
12


12


This match was pretty intense our respective swarms moved straight at each-other with mine shooting down Bigg's and stripping the shields off a B-Wing in the 1st round.  A lot of tight turning dog-fighting came next with Jeff using his Advanced Sensors to good effect but the dice just weren't going his way and the Rebels seemed to have caught the Stormtrooper 'Oh Dear I can't hit a barn' disease whereas my guys couldn't seem to mis.  Howlrunner did go down and Sontir ended up out of the fight for some-time.  In the end the fight came down to a single B-Wing with 1 hull point and Mauler Mithel with 1 hull point Mauler shooting first with 4 dice at Range 1 (2 + 1 for Range 1 + 1 for his ability) scoring 4 hits.  

Game 2 - The 3 Amigos vs. the Duelling Daltons 
99
TI
Sontir Fel – PS9
27
[Elite] Push the limit
[Mod] Shield upgrade
[Title] Royal guard Tie
[Mod] Targeting computer
3
4
0
2
36
TI
Tur Phennir – PS7
25
[Elite] Outmanoeuvre
[Mod] Hull upgrade
3
3
31
TI
Carnor Jax – PS8
26
[Elite] Push the limit
[Mod] Hull upgrade
3
3
32


Jeff seem's to like this list with just 2 ships one of which is horribly maneuverable but which to his cost relies heavily on being able to generate free focus - namely gaining 1 for each enemy ship within Range 1.  Now normally this would work well except that Carnor Jax basically prevents focus/evade actions and the spending of focus/evade tokens making any extra focus Jeff gained useless along as Carnor is close by... and I kept him close by.  Despite turning the wrong way a couple of times and hitting my own ships I was PTL and barrel rolling to give myself the 45 degree attack runs I needed and was usually able to get all 3 Interceptors into Range 1 of each of Jeff's ships at the same time.  

Soontir as usual just didn't miss - Jeff was counting and after the first few rounds Soontir had thrown 15 attack dice and only missed twice.  Adding Target Lock to Soontir really makes him deadly.  While Turr Phennir and Soontir both took some damage I was dishing out a lot more than Jeff was and with the dice favouring me (and to be honest some good movement on my part) the game went my way. 

Meanwhile in other games we had Han Solo Falcon's everywhere, Boba Fett running around and Caleb having a blast with the Phantom.


3 comments:

Jeffrey Kent said...

The B-wing had 3 hull points and a shield lol

John Murrie said...

Holy shit it did too - 4 shots 4 hits AHH!!!

Scary Biscuits said...

I love the Phantom. It's an unparalleled psychological weapon!